Universität zu Köln | Institute of Archaeology | Institute of Prehistoric Archaeology
Postdoc position (f/m/d) Institute of Archaeology | Institute of Prehistoric
- Online seit 18.12.2020
- Wissenschaftl. Stellen
Faculty of Arts and Humanities
Postdoc position (f/m/d)
Institute of Archaeology | Institute of Prehistoric Archaeology
The University of Cologne is one of the largest and most research-intensive universities in Germany, offering a wide range of subjects. With its six faculties and its interfaculty centres, it offers a broad spectrum of scientific disciplines and internationally outstanding profile areas, supported by the administration with its services.
The Institute of Archaeology (CoDArchLab) and the Institute of Prehistoric Archaeology (African Archaeology) invite applications for a three-year post-doctoral position in a new BMBF-funded project that brings together computational archaeology and indigenous knowledge. The project will take advantage of a rare opportunity to capture the movements of indigenous hunting experts in diverse Namibian landscapes using geospatial technologies. The qualitative and quantitative data collected on the field will be subsequently used to inform theoretical and computational models of hunter-gatherer behaviour, and in particular agent-based models. The project is co-directed by Prof. Dr. Eleftheria Paliou (Computational Archaeology) and Dr. Tilman Lenssen-Erz (African Archaeology).
- work within an international team of archaeologists and indigenous experts to collect data (GPS movement trajectories, velocity and caloric expenditure data, qualitative data etc.) on traditional hunting practices during fieldwork in Namibia
- explore how these unique datasets could be used to further develop and enhance agent-based models of hunter-gatherer behaviour, especially with respect to the modelling of human movement, human- animal and human-environment interactions
- perform data management tasks and participate in the organization of a workshop/conference at the end of the project
Your research will build upon and expand other collaborative projects of the Cologne Digital Archaelogy Laboratory (CoDArchLab) and African Archaeology, such as the IKAi project (https://ikai.phil-fak.uni-koeln.de/en/).
WE OFFER YOU
- a stimulating, dynamic and interdisciplinary research environment in the field of computational modelling at the CoDArchLab and the newly founded interfaculty Center of Data and Simulation Science (https://cds.uni-koeln.de/en/).
- participation in the postdoctoral mentoring and support programmes offered by the University of Cologne
- a diverse and fair working environment
- support in reconciling work and family life
- flexible working time models, full-time positions suitable for job sharing
- extensive advanced training opportunities
- occupational health management offers
- local transport ticket at a discount for UoC employees
The position is available from the 01.06.2021on a full-time basis. It is limited for three years. If the applicant meets the relevant wage requirements and personal qualifications, the salary is based on remuneration group 13 TV-L of the pay scale for the German public sector.
The University of Cologne is committed to equal opportunities and diversity. Women are especially encouraged to apply and will be considered preferentially in accordance with the Equal Opportunities Act of North Rhine-Westphalia (Landesgleichstellungsgesetz – LGG NRW). We also expressly welcome applications from people with disabilities / special needs or of equal status.
Please apply online at: https://jobportal.uni-koeln.de. You should submit a letter of motivation, a CV, a list of publications, a list of two referees employed in academia, two examples of written work, copies of certificates and proof of the sought qualifications (if applicable). The reference number is Wiss2012-19. The application deadline is 15.02.2021. Contact person: Prof. Dr. Eleftheria Paliou (email@example.com).
- a PhD and/or post-doc with an emphasis on the application of computational methods in archaeology
- experience in agent-based modelling
- fieldwork experience
- excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Art der Beschäftigung
- Zeitraum der Beschäftigung
- It is limited for three years.
- Vergütung nach der Entgeltgruppe 13 TV-L
- Montag, 15. Februar 2021 - 23:59
- Hochschule / Einrichtung
- Universität zu Köln
- Institut / Einrichtung
- Institute of Archaeology | Institute of Prehistoric Archaeology
- 50931 Köln, Deutschland
- Frau Prof.' Dr.' Eleftheria Paliou