Universität zu Köln | Institute for Theoretical Physics
PostDoc Position (f/m/d)
- Online seit 08.12.2020
- Wissenschaftl. Stellen
PostDoc Position (f/m/d)
Institute for Theoretical Physics
The University of Cologne is one of the largest and most research-intensive universities in Germany, offering a wide range of subjects. With its six faculties and its interfaculty centres, it offers a broad spectrum of scientific disciplines and internationally outstanding profile areas, supported by the administration with its services.
The Institute for Theoretical Physics at the University of Cologne invites applications for one postdoctoral position in Dr. Nele Callebaut’s new research group on quantum gravity and holography. The environment at the Institute (http://www.thp.unikoeln.de) is ideal for research at the interface with quantum information and condensed matter theory.
The successful candidate will perform research in the field of quantum gravity, using techniques and insights from quantum information theory. In practice this will require solving problems in holography, string theory and / or conformal field theory, depending on the successful candidate‘s expertise. More specific topics of interest in the group are emergent gravity from twodimensional conformal field theory, either from entanglement conditions or deformations of the conformal field theory. Collaboration with the researchers at the Institute will be encouraged but not mandatory.
- successful completion of studies (Master degree or its equivalent) and a PhD in theoretical physics are required
- a solid background in at least one of the following fields is expected: quantum gravity/quantum information research, holography, string theory and conformal field theory
WE OFFER YOU
- scientific research in an attractive environment with intense international collaborations
- the possibility to present your research at conference
- a diverse and fair working environment
- support in reconciling work and family life
- flexible working time models
- extensive advanced training opportunities
- occupational health management offers
- local transport ticket at a discount for UoC employees
The position will be open from March 1st 2021 the earliest and November 1st 2021 the latest, on a full-time postdoctoral basis. It is initially limited to two years, with a possibility for extension to a duration of three years in total. If the applicant meets the relevant wage requirements and personal qualifications, the salary is based on the remuneration group E13 of the pay scale for the German public sector.
The University of Cologne is committed to equal opportunities and diversity. Women are especially encouraged to apply and will be considered preferentially in accordance with the Equal Opportunities Act of North Rhine-Westphalia (Landesgleichstellungsgesetz – LGG NRW). We also expressly welcome applications from people with disabilities / special needs or of equal status.
Please send your convincing application including brief statements on motivation, research interests, ongoing research, ideas for future research, a CV, a list of publications, copies of certificates and transcripts, contact information for three referees, and proof of the required qualifications in English by email (in one pdf-file) to Dr.‘ Nele Callebaut (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the reference number Wiss2012-02. The application deadline is January 31st 2021.
- Art der Beschäftigung
- Zeitraum der Beschäftigung
- limited to two years
- 13 TV-L
- Sonntag, 31. Januar 2021 - 23:59
- Hochschule / Einrichtung
- Universität zu Köln
- Institut / Einrichtung
- Institute for Theoretical Physics
- 50931 Köln, Deutschland
- Frau Mariela Boevska