Universität zu Köln | Department of Special Education and Rehabilitation
Phd position (f/m/d) - Department of Special Education and Rehabilitation
- Online seit 06.01.2021
- Wissenschaftl. Stellen
Faculty of Human Sciences
Phd position (f/m/d) - Prominence in language
CRC 1252 | Department of Special Education and Rehabilitation
The University of Cologne is one of the largest and most research-intensive universities in Germany, offering a wide range of subjects. With its six faculties and its interfaculty centres, it offers a broad spectrum of scientific disciplines and internationally outstanding profile areas, supported by the administration with its services.
We are seeking to fill a PhD position (f/m/d) in the project „Prominence in action: Referent representation in German Sign Language (DGS)“. The project is part of the DFG-funded Collaborative Research Centre (CRC) “Prominence in language” (SFB 1252) at the University of Cologne and is headed by Prof. Pamela Perniss. The project investigates morphosyntactic and semantic relations in DGS with respect to linguistic prominence. Through the investigation of a signed language, the project contributes to the CRC’s aim to understand the universality and variability of prominence in language.
- Design and implementation of elicitation and corpusbased studies investigating prominence relations in DGS (incl. literature review, creation of stimulus materials, recording and editing of video data)
- Data collection from deaf DGS signers
- Coding and annotation of DGS data with the linguistic annotation software ELAN
- Data analysis with respect to morphosyntactic structures and semantic features that reflect prominence relations
WE OFFER YOU
- a DGS-signing environment and a dynamic team dedicated to research and teaching
- a diverse and fair working environment
- support in reconciling work and family life
- flexible working time models, full-time positions suitable for job sharing
- extensive advanced training opportunities
- occupational health management offers
- local transport ticket at a discount for UoC employees
The position is available from 01.04.2021 on a part-time basis (25,89 hours per week / 65%). It is limited to 31.03.2024. If the applicant meets the relevant wage requirements and personal qualifications, the salary is based on remuneration group 13 TV-L of the pay scale for the German public sector.
The University of Cologne is committed to equal opportunities and diversity. Women are especially encouraged to apply and will be considered preferentially in accordance with the Equal Opportunities Act of North Rhine-Westphalia (Landesgleichstellungsgesetz – LGG NRW). We also expressly welcome applications from people with disabilities / special needs or of equal status.
Please send your convincing application with proof of the sought qualifications by email (in one pdf-file) with the reference number Wiss2012-31 to email@example.com. Please do not include a photo with your application. In addition to the usual documents, please send your Master‘s thesis or, if it has not yet been completed, if possible two to three preliminary chapters of the Master‘s thesis as well as two representative term papers. The application deadline is 31.01.2021.
For questions about the post, please contact Prof. Pamela Perniss at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BA and MA degrees in relevant discipline (linguistics, sign language studies, psycholinguistics)
- DGS level B2 (CEFR) (minimum), or equivalent knowledge of another sign language and a basic knowledge of DGS with the willingness to attain greater proficiency in DGS
- Experience in coding and annotation of sign language data is desired
- Good quantitative and statistical analysis skills would be advantageous
- Excellent team-working skills, esp. in deaf-hearing team
- Excellent communication skills, esp. written English
- Art der Beschäftigung
- Zeitraum der Beschäftigung
- It is limited to 31.03.2024.
- Vergütung nach der Entgeltgruppe 13 TV-L
- Sonntag, 31. Januar 2021 - 23:59
- Hochschule / Einrichtung
- Universität zu Köln
- Institut / Einrichtung
- Department of Special Education and Rehabilitation
- 50931 Köln, Deutschland
- Frau Prof. Dr. Pamela Perniss